I love starting my mornings off with coffee. Sometimes a splash of milk to add some creaminess, but usually straight up black.
People may think living a gluten-free lifestyle is an inconvenience or boring and tasteless.
Au contrair ma cherie.
With an array of gluten-free grains to choose from – it is anything but: quinoa, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, to name a few of my favorites.
I’ve tried cream of rice and cream of buckwheat before (both from a box/bag), and wanted to give cream of millet a shot. I had millet on hand, so no need to go to the store and spend too much on something I can make myself.
Blender? Check. Millet? Check.
Blend however much you want until coarsely ground – you want them to be millet grits. It should only take a few seconds in the blender. I haven’t tried it with a food processor but if you have any success let me know!
Pumpkin Cream of Millet
- 3 T. millet grits (coarsely ground millet)
- 1 c. water, milk or a combo of the two (may need to add more as it cooks)
- 1/4 t. pure vanilla extract (or other)
- 1/2 c. canned or fresh pumpkin or squash puree
- handful of raisins or cranberries
- cinnamon to taste
- toppings: almond butter, shredded coconut, ground flax
Combine the water, millet, extract, dried fruit and cinnamon in a small pot and heat until cooked through and creamy. Stir in the pumpkin until heated through and mixed in.
Top or eat as it!