One of my favorite foods is yogurt! I love the texture, I love the taste. I love that I can eat it for breakfast, or snacks, or throw it into a baked treat for a bit of moisture and fat.
Chobani sent me some samples of their greek yogurts to try (before realizing I’m lactose intolerant; sad!). I really liked some of them – others not so much. My roommate has become a big fan of them too, switching over to Chobani from lesser-quality, chemically-laden yogurts.
The plain 2% was definitely my favorite. The 0% just doesn’t have any richness or creaminess to it and it’s just leaves this funny taste in my mouth. The 2% is also more filling because of the added fat – meaning I won’t want to snack 10 minutes later.
Of the flavored yogurts, I personally liked the honey the best because it was just sweetened with…well, honey! No added sugars.
The other fruit flavors left me wanting more fruit and less of the syrupy stuff in the bottom. I’d also prefer to not have the added sugars.
I always added more fruit in when eating the flavored ones.
I definitely would recommend purchasing a larger tub of the 2% plain and then adding your own mix-ins.
Uses for plain greek yogurt:
- Sour cream substitute for a burrito/taco bar, layered bean dip, or enchiladas.
- Use in baking to add creaminess and moisture to muffins, and cakes, and breads.
- Add it to a smoothie for some extra protein and creaminess.
- Make a ranch dip with some garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, parsley, and black pepper. (Or you can use a pre-made package like the Simply Organic one).
- Make a breakfast or dessert parfait, or use in place of milk for overnight oats.
- Add some to your dog’s food – she’ll appreciate the little something extra.
- Stir it into some soup in place of cream, or place a dollop on top (my favorite is on top of butternut squash soup or tomato soup).
- Place a dollop on top of some homemade baked beans.
- Or you could just eat it on it’s own.
What are your favorite uses for yogurt/greek yogurt? Do you prefer the plain or the flavored?